To be well-prepared for the IELTS test (both IELTS Academic & IELTS General Training Module), you can practice these topics at home before sitting the IELTS Speaking/Writing test. We will try to update these topics weekly.
IELTS Writing Task 2 Topics
Topic 1: Nowadays, not enough students choose science subjects in university in many countries. What are the reasons for this problem? What are the effects on the society?
Topic 2: University students always focus on one specialist subject, but some people think universities should encourage their students to study a range of subjects in addition to their own subject. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Topic 3: Some people think young people should go to university to further their education while others think they should been encouraged to work as car mechanics or builders etc. to serve society. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Topic 4: Universities should accept equal numbers of male and female study in every subject. Do you agree or disagree。
Topic 5: Nuclear energy is a better choice for meeting increasing demand, agree or disagree?
Topic 6: Economic progress is one way to measure the success of one country, while some people think there are other factors. What other factors should be considered? Within these factors, do you think anyone is more important than the others?
Topic 7: Most countries want to improve standard of living through economic development,however, others think social value is lost as a result. Do you think the advantages of economic development outweigh the disadvantages?
Topic 8: Some people think that zoos are cruel and all the zoos should be closed. However,other people think that zoos are useful to protect the rare animals. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Topic 9: Environmental problems are too big for individual countries and individual people to address. We have reached the stage where the only way to protect the environment to address it at an international level. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Topic 10: Some people think they have right to use as much freshwater as they want. Others believe governments should tightly control the use of fresh water as it is limited resource. Discuss both views and give your option.
Topic 11: With the development of technology and science, some people believe that there is no great value of artists such as musicians and painters. What are the things artists can do but the scientist cannot? Why should we encourage the art area?
Topic 12: Some people think that job satisfaction is more important than job security. Others think that people cannot expect to enjoy a job and having a permanent job is more important. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Topic 13: Countries with a long average working time are more economically successful than those countries which do not have a long working time. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Topic 14: Many people believe that counties should produce food for all population eats and import food as little as possible. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Topic 15: Some people think that it is necessary to travel abroad to learn about other countries, but other people think that it is not necessary to travel abroad because all the information can be seen at TV and the internet. Discuss both opinions and give your own opinion.
Topic 16: Throughout the history, people dream to build a perfect society while they haven't agreed how the ideal society would be like. What is the most important element you think to make a perfect society? How do people do to achieve an ideal society？
Topic 17: Some people believe that in order to give opportunities to new generation companies should encourage high level employees who are older than 55 to retire. Do you agree or disagree?Why?
Topic 18: Today's parents spend too little time staying with their children and use television to make their children keep quiet. Explain the reason and results by using your relevant experience.
Topic 19: Charities and organizations always give special names to particular days such as 'National Children's Day' and 'National Non-smoking Day'. What are the causes of these particular days? How effective are they?
Topic 20: It is suggested that all the young adults should undertake a period of unpaid work helping people in the community. Does it bring more benefits or drawbacks to the community and the young people?
IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics
1. Describe a a teenager you know.
2. Describe an interesting website you have visited.
3. Describe a person who helps to protect the environment.
4. Describe an exciting sport you know
5. Describe something you do to (help you) stay healthy.
6. Describe a place near water (such as a river, a lake or the ocean) that you enjoyed visiting.
7. Describe a pleasant surprise you had.
8. Describe a situation that others didn’t tell you the whole truth.
9. Describe an intelligent person that you know.
10. Describe something you really want to buy in the future
11. Describe a movie you would like to watch again
12. Describe a subject you didn’t like before but have interest in now.
13. Describe a piece of good news you heard from TV or internet
14. Describe a situation when you received some useful advice.
15. Describe a time when you got lost.
16. Describe a situation (or a time) when you helped someone.
17. Describe a project that you were once involved in (for example, a project at work or a homework assignment at school or university).
18. Describe a historical building in your country/ hometown.
19. Describe a long journey/short trips you would like to make again
20. Describe a healthy lifestyle that you know.