Are you sure you want to exit?
Are you sure you want to view the solution now?
*This action will NOT submit your test and your answers will be LOST
Review your answers
* This window is to review your answers only, you cannot change the answers in here
Are you sure you want to submit?
READING PASSAGE 1
Community business cards
Read the advertisements below and answer questions 1-4.
A - HAIRDRESSING
Ginger's Unisex Hair Studio
Wed & Thurs only
Colour/Foils & Blow-wave and
Receive a FREE Haircut
Enquiries to 9489 8888
Shop 5 Smith Arcade
104 Old Northern Hwy, Northland
B - DRY CLEANERS
For quality & friendly service
• Wedding & evening dresses
• Duvets & blankets
• Woollens/silks etc.
• Alterations and mending
Phone 9244 0000
Shop 1, Mundaring Shopping Centre
700 Great Eastern Highway, Mundaring
C - GOOD MANNERS DOG TRAINING Dog daycare & training centre
• Small classes for all ages
• Positive methods
• Qualified trainer
• Classes in Westland & hills
Enquirie�: 9244 4056 or 5419 924 133
D - CLEANING
Carpet steam cleaning
Phone: 4419 924 575
E - BUILDING SERVICES GCH CONSTRUCTION
Greg, qualified tradesman
Bricklaying & limestone
Paving & concrete
Renovations & new homes
6423 233 058
F - AIR CONDITIONING & GAS
Markham Air & Appliances Pty Ltd
Split system installations
Air-conditioning service & repairs
Appliance service & repair (gas & electric)
Phone: 4468 118 491
Read the texts below and answer questions 5-10.
• Lima Discover the city's colonial sights, including the expansive Plaza San Martin and its impressive cathedral and government palace; visit the Church of San Francisco and its catacombs.
• Sacred Valley Visit Awanakancha and meet llamas, vicunas and alpacas; pick up some handicrafts at the lively Pisac market; explore the massive Inca fortress of Ollantayambo.
• The Vistadome Ride aboard the Vistadome train to Machu Picchu; enjoy large panoramic windows, first-class service and a light meal.
• Hidden Treasures Enjoy at least one surprise Hidden Treasure experience, unique to your itinerary, courtesy of your expert tour director.
• Be My Guest Join Doctor Francisco Diez Canseco Tavara, the descendant of an old Peruvian family, for a welcome reception and typical Peruvian lunch; visit the beautiful estate and learn about the Diez
• Machu Picchu Immerse yourself in the history and atmosphere of this UNESCO World Heritage Site on a guided tour and during free time for independent exploration.
• Cusco Delve into the city's Inca and Spanish colonial past; explore the Plaza de Armas; visit the Church of Santo Domingo and Korikancha or Temple of the Sun; explore the citadel of Sacsayhuaman and nearby shrines and Inca warehouses.
• Audio headsets For all guided visits and included sightseeing.
• Local speciality Visit a weaving centre in the Sacred Valley to watch artisan weavers at work; on the way to Cusco, visit a chicheria and taste chichi, the traditional Andean corn beer.
• Local expert Meet Kike Pinto, founder and Director of the Museum of Andean and Amazon Musical Instruments, for a presentation on Andean instruments and music in Cusco.
• Welcome reception with your tour director in Lima
• 7 full breakfasts
• 1 picnic box lunch
• 2 three-course dinners
• farewell dinner with wine and folklore show in Cusco
• Be My Guest with wine in Lima
• Includes all first-class features
• A Trafalgar bonus-all Intra-Air Flights: Lima to Cusco and Cusco to Lima, including porter service at all airports
• Qualified local guides in Lima, the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu and Cusco
• Souvenir photo captures treasured memories of your trip with a
complimentary group photo taken at a landmark location.
Source: Trafalgar Tours
Read the texts below and answer questions 11-14.
Influenza, commonly known as the flu, is caused by a virus which spreads easily from person to person through infected droplets in the air and by hands infected with the virus.
The virus infects your nose, throat and, sometimes, your lungs. In most people it causes mild to moderate symptoms for about a week, but some people can develop severe illness and complications which may need to be treated in hospital and can even result in death.
Flu complications include pneumonia and bronchitis. Flu can also make some underlying medical conditions worse.
Flu is a vaccine-preventable disease. Because the flu virus is constantly changing, it is necessary to get vaccinated every year. The flu vaccine protects against the three strains of the virus which are most likely to occur over the winter. Vaccination is recommended in autumn to give time for immunity to develop before the flu season starts. You cannot get flu from the vaccine.
To prevent complications from flu it is recommended that people in the eligible groups outlined in this brochure get vaccinated each year.
65 years and over
People aged 65 years and over have the highest risk of complications associated with seasonal flu. Vaccination decreased hospitalisation and mortality rates by up to 50 per cent.
Respiratory diseases are major causes of preventable sickness and death in Indigenous people. All Indigenous people are now eligible for the free flu vaccine from 15 years of age.
Pregnant women are at higher risk of severe complications associated with the virus. The flu vaccine is safe for pregnant women, including in the first trimester. Vaccinating against flu during pregnancy also provides protection for the baby during the first vulnerable months of life.
People medically at risk
People with some existing medical conditions are at increased risk of complication from flu and may now be eligible for free seasonal flu vaccine. These include anyone who is over six months of age and has a condition such as:
• heart disease
• chronic respiratory conditions
• chronic illness requiring medical follow-up or hospitalisation in the past year
• diseases of the neuromuscular system
• impaired immunity, or
• aged six months to 10 years and on long-term aspirin therapy.
Source: Immunise Australia Program
The business cards above are from a Local shop noticeboard.
They offer local services.
Look at the six business cards, A-F. For which card are the following statements true?
Write the correct letter, A-F, in boxes 1-4 on your answer sheet.
Note: you may use any letter more than once.
Which service provides daycare?
Which service is provided at a local shopping centre?.
Which three services provide improvements to the home? (Ex: A,B,C)
Which service offers something free?
Do the following statements agree with the information in the travel guide?
In boxes 5-10 on your answer sheet, write:
|TRUE||if the statement agrees with the information|
|FALSE||if the statement contradicts the information|
|NOT GIVEN||If there is no information on this|
5 The capital city of Peru, Lima, is the main highlight of the tour.
6 Guests will travel by train to Machu Picchu.
7 Guests will have the opportunity to meet a descendant of an old Peruvian family.
8 Kike Pinto is a local expert musician who plays traditional Andean instruments.
9 The farewell dinner will include a range of traditional Peruvian food.
10 A souvenir group photo can be purchased at the end of the tour.
Answer the questions below.
Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for the text for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 11-14 on your answer sheet.
Influenza is a virus which is easily spread from person to person via infected droplets in the air and by 11 with the virus.
It is necessary to 12 against influenza because the virus is constantly changing.
The influenza virus can lead to medical complications such as 13 , or can make existing medical conditions worse.
It is recommended that vaccination take place in autumn so that 14 before the winter flu season starts.